It’s the calm before the storm of the second week at the 2020 Dakar Rally as the convoy enjoys its midpoint Rest Day in Riyadh. Already on the opening six stages of the rally there has been no shortage of drama.
The Rest Day is an opportunity for Dakar competitors to work on their strategies for the final week of racing. With more than 4,000 kilometres still to travel between Riyadh and the finish line there’s still plenty of action to unfold on the race track.
The Rest Day also allows the crews of mechanics and engineers to get race vehicles in tiptop condition for the challenges that lie ahead.
On Sunday racing will resume in Saudi Arabia. Can those currently controlling the leaderboard maintain their dominance over the desert dunes still to come?
The six stages during the Dakar’s second week will be contested over mostly sandy terrain, with the mighty dunes of Saudi Arabia’s Empty Quarter still to be negotiated. There’s also the Shubaytah marathon stage on the menu.
The glory of the finish line in Qiddiya is still a long way off and there’s still plenty to overcome before the first Middle Eastern Dakar concludes.
Scroll down for the latest standings, images and quotes from the rally…
The 2020 Dakar finishes on Friday, January 17 in Al-Qiddiya. Keep up-to-date with the entire Red Bull Desert Wings convoy on Red Bull Motorsports’ social media: Red Bull Motorsport Instagram / Facebook / Twitter / Desert Wings Instagram
2020 Dakar Rally Car Race (after Stage 6)
- Carlos Sainz (ESP)/Lucas Cruz (ESP) MINI Buggy 23h33m05s
- Nasser Al-Attiyah (QAT)/Mathieu Baumel (FRA) Toyota +07m46s
- Stéphane Peterhansel (FRA)/Paulo Fiuza (PRT) MINI Buggy +16m18s
- Yazeed Al Rajhi (SAU)/Konstantin Zhiltsov (RUS) Toyota +36m46s
- Orlando Terranova (ARG)/Bernardo Graue (ARG) MINI Rally +32m05s
- Giniel De Villiers (ZAF)/Alex Haro (ESP) Toyota +55m39s
- Kuba Przygonski (POL)/Timo Gottschalk (GER) MINI Rally +08h25m18s
2020 Dakar Rally Bike Race (after Stage 6)
- Ricky Brabec (USA) Honda 23h43m47s
- Pablo Quintanilla (CHI) Husqvarna +20m56s
- Toby Price (AUT) KTM +25m39s
- Jose Ignacio Cornejo (CHI) Honda +25m41s
- Joan Barreda (ESP) Honda +32m58s
- Matthias Walkner (AUT) KTM +33m39s
- Luciano Benavides (ARG) KTM +39m02s
- Laia Sanz (ESP) Gas Gas +02h36m21s
- CS Santosh (IND) Hero +05h48m52s
- Mohammed Balooshi (UAE) Husqvarna +07h34m10s
2020 Dakar Rally Side-by-side Race (after Stage 6)
- Chaleco Lopez/Juan Pablo Latrach Vinagre (CHI) (CHI) Can-Am 28h52m26s
- Casey Currie (USA)/Sean Berriman (USA) Can-Am +09m48s
- Sergei Kariakin (RUS)/Anton Vlasiuk (RUS) Can-Am +30m24s
- Jose Antonio Hinojo Lopez (ESP)/Diego Ortega Gil (ESP) Can-Am +36m31s
- Mitch Guthrie Jr. (USA)/Ola Floene (NOR) OT3 +47m49s
Cyril Despres (FRA)/Mike Horn (SUI) OT3 – Dakar Experience
Blade Hildebrand (USA)/Francois Cazalet (FRA) OT3 – Dakar Experience
2020 Dakar Rally Truck (after Stage 6)
- Andrey Karginov (RUS) Kamaz 25h06m20s
- Anton Shibalov (RUS) Kamaz +19m14s
- Siarhei Viazovich (BLR) Maz +36m30s
- Ales Loprais (CZE) Praga +01h51m13s
- Martin Macik (CZE) Iveco +01h59m27s
- Dmitry Sotnikov (RUS) Kamaz +02h28m16s
2020 Dakar Rally Quad Race Top 3 (after Stage 6)
- Ignacio Casale (CHI) Yamaha 30h11m37s
- Simon Vitse (FRA) Yamaha +35m12s
- Rafal Sonik (POL) Yamaha +01h07m17s