George Llamosas held off a hard-fought challenge from Mason Cotter to take the Youth 1000 race win in Saturday’s BFGoodrich Tires Mint 400 Youth Races, taking the win at the finish line by just 4.948 seconds after five laps of racing. It was the closest margin of victory on a day where the next generation of top off-road stars showed their stuff, and a day where many young racers scored their first-ever Mint 400 wins and podiums.
Each year, dozens of aspiring young off-road racers take to their own “Mini Mint 400” course to do battle in the shadows of the Unlimited teams that they someday hope to join. This year’s event featured four different races, with 25-minute timed races for the smaller classes and five laps of their own course for the Youth 1000 and 570 races.
All but the Youth 1000 race featured multiple classes sharing the course; the Youth 570 and 570 Open classes ran together, as did Youth 250 and 200, and all three 170 variants—Open, Production, and T170. Youth 170 Open winner Declan Shields successfully defended his win in last year’s race with more than 30 seconds in hand over Nixon Nagel, but every other margin of victory was less than 20 seconds.
Unofficial Youth 1000 results from the 2023 BFGoodrich Tires Mint 400 are as follows:
- #Y1088 George Llamosas, 5 laps, 23:51.855
- #Y1610 Mason Cotter, 23:56.803
- #Y1616 Cruz Worley, 24:26.185
Unofficial Youth 570 results from the 2023 BFGoodrich Tires Mint 400 are as follows:
- #Y531 Evan Atkins, 5 laps, 30:23.452
- #Y511 Hugh Tarrant, 30:40.746
- #Y512 Ella Warner, 31:08.581
Unofficial Youth 570 Open results from the 2023 BFGoodrich Tires Mint 400 are as follows:
- #Y544 Brody Berhorst, 5 laps, 31:00.739
- #O599 Lake Adler, 31:08.700
- #O549 Jaxson Jauregui, 32:19.148
Unofficial Youth 250 results from the 2023 BFGoodrich Tires Mint 400 are as follows:
- #Y237 Jacob Williamson, 10 laps, 26:53.769
- #Y211 Trevor Lee, 27:07.238
- #Y297 Ian Torfi, 9 laps
Unofficial Youth 170 Open results from the 2023 BFGoodrich Tires Mint 400 are as follows:
- #O158 Declan Shields, 9 laps, 27:19.909
- #O99 Nixon Nagel, 27:51.273
- #O14 Korbin Grinolds, 27:53.842
Unofficial Youth 170 Production results from the 2023 BFGoodrich Tires Mint 400 are as follows:
- #Y71 Charlie McKay, 7 laps, 25:45.773
- #Y191 Cassidy Walton, 26:00.821
- #Y22 Landon Malone, 6 laps
Full live timing and results from the event are available at live.themint400.com.
The Mint 400 has held the title of the toughest, most spectacular off-road race in North America since 1968 when it was first run. Initially, the race was a public relations event promoting the Mint Hotel’s annual deer hunt, but what started out as a hotel promotion soon grew into a legitimate desert race. Since its 2008 revival, “The Great American Off-Road Race” has only gotten bigger and more prestigious, and deeper fields every year only make it tougher to win.